Monday, September 26, 2011

Homemade Mayo on Turkey Avacado Bacon Sliders

I LOVE my grocery store (Publix).  We're all on a first name basis.  When those newbies ask me if I need help finding anything, I joke "no thank you, do YOU need help finding anything?"  The last suggestion I placed in the suggestion box was for my own parking spot.  I truly believe they're mulling it over.

ANYWAY...... the point is, no one around here carries pasteurized eggs and I really really super duper wanted to make some homemade mayonnaise.   So, I put in a request, it never came.  Finally I talked to the grocery manager. I told him I'd like to cash in some of my frequent flyer miles for this special request.  He replied "for you, Holly, anything"  OHH KAYY..he didn't say that.  But he did say, No problem, they'll be here by Friday.  And they were.  I feel so special (although they would do that for anyone, I pretend it's because I'm me)

Sooo, today, made mayo.  I first tried it in the food processor.  Epic failure.  Turned out super runny and grodie.  So put some elbow grease into it and whipped the S**T out of it.  I used Alton Brown's recipe. Click here for his recipe   Its so pretty and creamy and thick.  And my head is spinning with ideas of other flavored varieties I can whip up..literally.

Ingredients

  • 1 egg yolk*
  • 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 2 pinches sugar
  • 2 teaspoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
  • 1 cup oil, safflower or corn

Directions

In a glass bowl, whisk together egg yolk and dry ingredients. Combine lemon juice and vinegar in a separate bowl then thoroughly whisk half into the yolk mixture. Start whisking briskly, then start adding the oil a few drops at a time until the liquid seems to thicken and lighten a bit, (which means you've got an emulsion on your hands). Once you reach that point you can relax your arm a little (but just a little) and increase the oil flow to a constant (albeit thin) stream. Once half of the oil is in add the rest of the lemon juice mixture.
Continue whisking until all of the oil is incorporated. Leave at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours then refrigerate for up to 1 week.

* Raw Eggs

*RAW EGG WARNING
One Spicy Dish suggest caution in consuming raw and lightly cooked eggs due to the slight risk of salmonella or other food-borne illness. To reduce this risk, we recommend you use only fresh, properly refrigerated, clean grade A or AA eggs with intact shells, and avoid contact between the yolks or whites and the shell.  Please use pasteurized eggs when a recipe calls for raw eggs.

So for dinner I had to use my mayo.  I quickly put together some turkey sliders.  I have a couple recipes on here you can use.  It's very similar to the  basic meatball recipe.  There is also an Asian turkey slider recipe floating around my blog. Click here for  asian turkey sliders. Either one will work :) 

I basically mixed a pound of ground turkey breast, grated onion, garlic, salt, sazon, egg, bread crumbs and cheese together and formed into patties.  Grilled them off, topped with avocado, bacon, tomato and the creamy goodness that is  homemade mayo.

NOM NOM






2 comments:

  1. oh wow! special order! haha! that looks good and those sliders look sooo delcious! i'm drooling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL.yeah thats how i roll :) how did your cake turn out?

    ReplyDelete