Sunday, October 2, 2011

Strawberry Cream Cheese Pancakes

I have a love hate relationship with Sundays.  If I have my way, they're easy, breezy and relaxing.  I can cook all day and a little fairy will come behind me and clean up every step of the way.  I'll have a house full of people that are so impressed with the food, they're completely speechless after every bite. 
Not sure which part I like more, them enjoying my food, or being speechless.  As I write this I'm giving the six year old factors to type into the calculator.  "super duper hard numbers mom...no...bigger numbers".  Then she jumps to "look how long I can stare". That involves me actually looking her way. "wheres the phone mom, I wanna call dad" ,"wanna see the book I wrote?"  Oh, she also talks to me in her own language. I haven't quite caught on to it yet.  I'm blessed with a house full of talkers, movers and shakers.  So I digress, but wanted you to see why a moment of silence would be nice. 
Back to Sundays.  Love them, they're still part of the weekend, but guess what happens in a few hours from now?  Back to the weekly grind.

This morning, we wake up early, because The Captain has to go out to the property to start clearing it and laying down some food for the deer. That's the first thing he thinks about.  Me?  I think of breakfast, and the few precious moments of quiet I'll have before zombie kids come fumbling down the stairs.  Thinking pancakes, but something different.  How about cream cheese pancakes?  Yup..thats what I'm doing.

So on this last day of the weekend, I'll open the windows, feel the cool breeze come in and cook. Now...where's my cleaning fairy?


Thats what happens when you put the whipped cream on top of warm syrup

Ingredients:
2 cups self rising flour
3 Tbs powdered sugar
4 oz 1/3 less fat cream cheese softened
1 egg
2 Tbs melted butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups milk

Whipped Cream
Strawberry Syrup.  I actually melt low sugar strawberry jelly and use that. 



Preparation:
In large bowl, whisk flour and sugar.  Create a well in the middle of the mixture
In smaller bowl mix cream cheese, egg, vanilla and melted better
Add that mixture to the flour mixture.  Slowly add milk and whisk until mixture is combined. It usually takes between 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 cups.
Heat skillet over medium low.  These pancakes tend to brown very easily so cook on low to medium low heat.
Top with strawberry syrup and whipped cream.  Grab coffee and grab loved ones, open windows and enjoy this day. 

1 comment:

  1. Gosh...I love how you said it: movers, talkes and shakers....that is exactly what I have!! Always something happening alongside where I'm trying to type/read/find peace....lol

    I love Sundays too. And I'm really loving your pancakes :)

    ReplyDelete