Tuesday, November 2, 2010

PUNKIN' CORN CHOWDER

Punkin’ corn chowder
Anyone that knows me knows how much I love pet names…punkin is at the top of the list, along with puddin’, cookie, snickerdoodle..really anything that will put a smile on your face. I don’t think it’s a coincidence all my pet names are a type of food.   Love the words, love the food, love the scent of the candles, love this time of year. 
I had a version of pumpkin soup the other day and I thought, I can do that….and better!!  Really, that’s exactly what I said! So played around a bit, tossed it around in my head and came up with this.  Oh and can I tell you that I really wanted to garnish this with pepitas..LOVE THEM.  Searched my market high and low for them.  My produce guy rescued me and pointed me in the right direction…then, I completely forgot them!! Oh man….  But I digress..lets move on…
·         Punkin corn chowder drizzled with cream infused with sage and ginger.  Topped with crispy prosciutto.
Ingredients:
1 large shallot
2+1 Tbs butter
3 Tbs Flour
1 ½ Cups milk
2/3 cup Chicken Broth
½ 14.5 oz can pumpkin
2 cups frozen corn
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
Salt and pepper
Heavy Cream
Handful fresh sage
1 tsp fresh grated ginger
2 pieces prosciutto

Cooking instructions:
In a small, heavy bottom sauce pan, add heavy cream, sage, ginger and salt.  Heat but do not boil.  When warm, turn off heat and let cream steep.  Allow the cream to cool and strain into a measuring cup.
Meanwhile, in large pot, melt 2tbs butter over medium heat. Add shallots and sweat for 3 minutes.  Add flour and allow to cook until not raw.  Slowly add milk and whisk to avoid lumps.  Add salt and pepper at this point.  Whisk until mixture thickens, add cinnamon and nutmeg.  Turn heat to medium low and add pumpkin.  Stir till combined.  Begin adding chicken broth to thin mixture to your liking. Turn heat to low and add in frozen corn.  Add additional salt and pepper at this point to taste. Finish chowder with last Tbs. of butter.
While corn is cooking, place two slices prosciutto or bacon in small skillet.  Fry over medium high heat until crispy.
Ladle soup into serving dish, slowly swirl in sage/ginger infused cream. Crumble prosciutto on top. (and pepitas if you don’t forget J )
I also served this with croustinis for dipping.  Filling and delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment