Monday, November 8, 2010

Black Bean Patties

If you go through my pantry, you’ll notice that I’m a hoarder of two things….beans and nuts.  Not sure why, but every time I got to the supermarket I think, I’d better pick up some beans. Just in case I don’t have any.  I have at least three cans of every type of beans you can find AND bags of dried beans.  I’m not sure what the inspiration was for my black bean patties.  It was such a long time ago that I first made them that I can’t recall. I can only assume it was to make room for more groceries.

Ingredients:
Black bean patties
½ cup finely chopped purple onion
1/3 cup finely chopped red pepper
1 Tbs. diced pickled jalapeños (you can use fresh but I like the flavor of the pickled)
1 14.5 oz can of low sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
1 package sazon (spice found in the Latin food isle of your supermarket, my favorite spice!)
1 large egg
½ cup plain bread crumbs
Canola oil

Avocado salad
One ripe avocado
¼ cup red onion
½ medium tomato chopped and seeded
2 Tbs. lemon juice (I prefer lemon juice as it allows the avocado flavor come through)
Pinch of grey salt

 
Cooking instructions:
In large bowl, mix onion, pepper and jalapeños.  Add black beans and mash until some of the beans are left whole but most are mashed.  I use the back of a large spoon. I don’t suggest using a food processor because it will leave the mixture too heavy.
Pour in one packet of sazon and one egg.  Mixture will be quite gooey and wet.  Stir in just enough of the bread crumbs to help you form patty.  Mixture should still be wet and delicate.  The more crumbs you add, the heavier the patties will be. 
Form into patties.  One can should make 6 patties. 
Heat just enough canola oil to cover bottom of skillet over medium high heat. Carefully add each patty and cook for 3-4 min on the first side until brown crust forms.  Patty will be ready to flip when it releases from the pan and does not stick. Cook another 4-5 min on the other side. 
Remove to a paper towel lined plate and immediately sprinkle with salt.
Serve with dollop of sour cream and avocado salad.

Avocado salad:
Roughly chop the onion, tomato and avocado and add to bowl.  Stir in lemon juice and finishing salt.

1 comment:

  1. Making avocado salad for lunch! I love this recipe, the bean patties and salad! This is my kind of eatin!

    ReplyDelete