Saturday, December 24, 2011

Gramma Estel's Holly Cookies

This is the most personal recipe I've posted so far.  Probably the ONLY personal one I've posted.  But, I can't hold this in any longer. I'm not even sure when Gramma started making these cookies.  I know she sent me some when I was in college and that was ages ago.  And typically, when we're lucky enough to be at her house for the Holidays, she has a stash for me.

This year, my son is the one that mentioned them.  I have been baking a lot more lately (my oven is so confused) so I thought I'd give them a try. So I facebooked my gramma (yup suckers...my grandmother is on facebook!!!) and asked her for the recipe.  She sent me her original copy :) :).  That deserves two smiley face emoticons.


Can you believe, they're actually called Holly Cookies?  I just assume she named them after me.  LOL..

It's a pretty easy recipe, butter cookies, powdered sugar glaze and raspberry jam.  But I think, the love that goes into decorating them is what makes them taste so delicious.

Cookies:
2/3 cup unsalted softened butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1teaspoon vanilla

1 3/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon

raspberry jam (no seeds)

extra flour for rolling

icing:
1 cup sifted powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons milk
Red Hots or other cinnamon candies
Green food coloring
paintbrush :)

Directions:
Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper or silicon mat.
Cream butter and sugar until light, add egg and continue to beat until well incorporated.  Then add vanilla.
In separated bowl, sift the dry ingredients together.
Once butter mixture is well combined start adding dry ingredients slowly until completely incorporated.

Liberally flour your work surface as this is an extremely sticky dough. You can refrigerate it for a bit but since it's mostly butter, it will get too hard and you'll have to let it soften to roll out.
Roll your dough until its about 1/8 in. thick.  Cut into desired shapes.  Pull together scraps and repeat.
Bake for 6-8 min.  Cookies should not brown.

Sandwich the cookies together with raspberry jam. 

When making icing, slowly drizzle milk into sugar until you achieve a thick glaze.



Glaze cookies, while icing is still wet, press red hots into top.  Once icing has completely hardened, you can paint your Holly leaves on.

Store in airtight container until it's time to leave them out for Santa.  They will keep for 5-7 days and still taste delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment