Wednesday, September 8, 2010

So I know Black Eyed Peas aren't so G-L-A-M-O-R-O-U-S. And thank you to Fergie (we're on a first name basis) for helping me always remember how to spell glamorous.  So back to this dish. I really wanted to come out here and WOW you all with my first posted recipe. It's ok though, I'm not ashamed.  Let me explain. So I had this great plan to make pumpkin ravioli today. Sounds good right?  Well, husband went out of town so whats the point of making such a yummy dinner if I don't have anyone over five feet tall to share it with.  Also, my grocery store doesn't have Hazelnuts for the sauce.  They only carry it for the holidays.  Stay tuned for the ravioli.  Anyway, I picked up these par cooked black eyed peas at the store the other day.  Thought they be a delish, quick and healthy dinner.  Pair that with the brown rice and I believe we have ourselves a perfect protein.  Not to mention a righteously tasty dish.  Oh, and it's spicy too.  :)  Anyway, I figure everyone could use simple, tasty and healthy in their collection right?

Ingredients

2 cans rinsed and drained black eyed peas
2 tbs olive oil
1/4 cup celery
1/4 cup red pepper finely chopped
1 medium shallot finely chopped (is there any other way?)
1 seeded jalapeno pepper diced *optional*
1/4 cup chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste
steamed brown or white rice cooked according to package

Instructions

This really is such a simple meal.  You're basically throwing everything in one skillet and warming through. In a 10 in skillet, sweat the celery, shallot and pepper for three to five minutes. Salt the veggies as they sweat.  Add the diced jalapeno, rinsed and drained peas and the chicken broth.  Let cook til warmed through.  Serve over hot rice.   BOOM BOOM POW..done!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like the perfect dish when there's no meat and potatoes husband around to cook for! I'm definitely going to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete